To celebrate the 500th birthday of John Calvin (July 10th), I am posting a few lists of 5’s that will shed some light on this important reformer. Previous articles include:
- 5 Criticisms of Martin Luther by John Calvin
- 5 Thoughts on Society by John Calvin
- 5 Qualities John Calvin Desired in a Wife
Calvin systematically established an order of worship for the evangelical church. Music and singing were vital elements for him. Here are 5 teachings of his on church music:
- Congregational singing is a foundational element of the worship service.
- Cheerfulness should characterize this singing.
- The Psalms are the best songs.
- In singing the Christian stands in the presence of God and the angels.
- The result of singing is “like a spur to incite us to pray to and to praise God, to meditate on his works, that we may love, fear, honour, and glorify him.”