This is the 2nd 5-part list highlighting an aspect of the life and works of John Calvin. July 10th was Calvin’s 500th birthday. The previous list was:
Calvin was known as a reformer of society as well as a reformer of the church. Here are 5 thoughts of his on society:
- He thought marriage was good for society because it promoted respectability and controlled lascivious wanderings.
- He thought monogamy was better than polygamy since rivalry among wives would not produce conjugal harmony.
- He preferred small families over large because they were quieter.
- He thought a man disgraced if he wore filthy or torn clothing.
- He thought that private ownership of property was vital to social order.