Recently Christian History magazine asked a group of their top writers to compose a list of the greatest 25 books in the history of Christianity. Issue 116 of the magazine published the composite list of these writers. You can click over to look at their list.
From that list this post is my favorite seven in chronological order. This list is not to label any of the others as less important. These are the ones with which I have spent more time and by which I have been edified. I also included no more than one per author. Had I included multiples from the same authors, I surely would have included others by Augustine and Luther.
Links to each title is included for both Amazon and Westminster Bookstore. If one is cheaper than the other (at the time of this writing), an asterisk (*) will denote the cheaper version.
- Augustine, Confessions (c. 398) – Amazon | Westminster*
- Martin Luther, 95 Theses (1517) – Free Online Version
- John Calvin, Institutes of the Christian Religion (1536) – Amazon* | Westminster
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim’s Progress (1678) – Amazon* | Westminster
- Jonathan Edwards, Religious Affections (1746) – Amazon* | Westminster
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship (1937) – Amazon | Westminster
- C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (1952) – Amazon* | Westminster