John Maxwell identifies 5 questions to ask when forming your inner circle:
- Do they display exemplary character in everything they do?
- Do they bring complementary gifts to the table?
- Do they hold a strategic position and have influence within the organization?
- Do they add value to the organization and to the leader?
- Do they positively impact other members of the inner circle?
Maxwell also identifies 2 traps to avoid in staffing your inner circle:
- Soliciting praise instead of candor.
- Driving away talent so that your power isn’t threatened.