This recent Gallup poll gives a picture of what the American populace finds morally acceptable and morally wrong.
Here are a few of my observations. You are welcome to add your thoughts and observations.
- Assuming a 75% threshold as a super-majority view, birth control is the only acceptable practice on the list.
- By the same standard, four practices are deemed immoral: adultery, human cloning, polygamy and suicide.
- The argument of whatever consenting adults do sexually is okay seems to apply to unmarried and gay relations, but not to the polygamists.
- Suicide is wrong…unless, for many, a doctor assists.
- Doctor assisted suicide has the lowest differential between being acceptable or wrong on the list.