This article is the fifth and final installment of my lists of five aspects related to John Calvin. These articles are in conjunction with the 500th birthday of Calvin which was on July 10th. The previous four lists include:
- 5 Criticisms of Martin Luther by John Calvin
- 5 Thoughts on Society by John Calvin
- 5 Qualities John Calvin Desired in a Wife
- 5 Teachings of John Calvin on Church Music
Since the use or abstinence of alcohol is again a front line issue for Christians, I am including 5 thoughts of Calvin on the subject.
- Drunkenness is a shameful abuse of a “noble and most precious gift of God.”
- Wine is a “very healthy food.”
- Men become drunk “to bury reflection.”
- Drunkenness clouds the mind and stupefies the senses.
- Drunkenness can lead to other sins.