Father in heaven,
Thank you for my own mother:
- In her womb she nurtured me and labored to give birth to me.
- In our home she taught me your ways with words and by example.
- Out of the nest she has provided encouragement and wise counsel.
- From infancy through adulthood, she has prayed for me.
Grant that I will honor my mother with all that I say and do.
Grant that I will bring her joy by walking in the truth.
Remember the women who are grieving on this day:
- Those who have been unable to have children.
- Those who have stood by the graves of their children.
- Those who are wounded with sorrow by the folly of their children.
Turn the hearts of the women who need grace for sinning against their children:
- Those who have turned the protection of the womb into a killing field.
- Those who have abandoned children in need of a mother’s love.
- Those who have neglected to nurture their children so that they might grow in wisdom and stature.
- Those who have abused the ones who have been entrusted to their care.
- Those who have drained the joy out of their adult children.
Restore the respect for mothers in our culture.
And again, thank you for my mother.